Jenny de Jong has started a new phase in language learning! Phase 4. The first three phases were important for laying the foundation of French. Now the language activities revolve around interviewing Senegalese people she has come to know. From this comes new vocabulary and (hopefully) growth in friendships! Another exercise that she now does regularly is to make a recording of her own French speaking. When she listens to this together with her language assistant, she corrects the errors. Stage 4 is intensive, 500 hours over six to eight months. It asks a lot! It can be done with God’s help and support in prayer! Followed by the last phase of another 500 hours.

Another change that has happened in recent times is that she has been living in two houses. During the week with her language assistant and her daughter, at the weekend in her own room. This way she does not have to take a taxi every day. Living together is intensive but very educational! They spend the whole day together and in addition to the four-hour language session, this provides many opportunities to speak French and learn more about Senegalese culture. Jenny is thankful for the new phase she has entered and the hospitality of her language helper so that she has the opportunity to continue language study. Pray for creativity as they spend a lot of time in the small apartment, which Jenny finds intensive. Also, pray for good sleep at night.

The street scene has also changed in recent weeks. Despite the fact that schools, churches and other public buildings are closed and traffic outside the region is prohibited, no fewer people are on the road. However, it is quiet at night. There is a curfew from 20:00 to 06:00. Fewer passengers are allowed on the bus or taxi, and everyone is required to wear a facemask outdoors. Please pray for many people trying to find work on the street. Taxis drive around without passengers and many shops are closed. Pray for more freedom to return to normal life soon.

Six weeks ago, when Jenny was jumping on an old trampoline she sprained her foot when it went through the fabric. This gave her the opportunity to become acquainted with wooden crutches. It was uncomfortable and tedious, but also educational. A patience exercise! Three days after ‘the jump’, her housemate’s brother, who works as an orthopaedist happened to visit. He offered to check what was wrong. He gave advice and said that it really only needed rest to heal. Coincidence? No! Amazing God? Yes!